- The Sully District Council will meet at 7:00 p.m. on Thursday the 29th of September due to a conflict with the Jewish New Year in the Sully District Governmental Center Front Meeting Room, 4900 Stonecroft Boulevard, Chantilly, VA, 20151. The meeting will be canceled if Fairfax County Schools or after school activities are canceled due to adverse weather the day of the meeting.
- Time to renew your association's membership in the Sully District Council. Our membership application can now be submitted on line! Please complete it, and then print a copy to enclose with your check.
The following associations have joined/renewed their memberships in the SDC in 2011:
- The August 2011 Sully District Council Land Use committee and Board meeting minutes are posted online.
- Membership Presentations:
Fourth Bi-Annual Legislative Candidates night - we have invited all announced Delegate and Senate candidates for districts within the Sully area to make brief statements and respond to questions.
Each candidate will be given time for a five-minute opening statement (order to be determined by the drawing of numbers from a hat at the start of the proceedings, with the opposing candidate of the same district immediately following) with a general question and answer period ending at 9:30 PM or until the last question is answered (which ever comes first).
Those candidates who can not attend can have a proxy make their opening statement for them if identified before hand by name in writing, but their proxy will not be able to participate in the Q & A portion of the evening.
House of Delegates:
- 36th District (Difficult Run Precinct)
- Hugh "Mac" Cannon (R) - Regrets
- Ken Plum (D) - Will attend
- 37th House District (Multiple Precincts)
- Brian Schoeneman (R) - Will attend (coming from another event, will arrive after start)
- Dave Bulova (D) - Will attend (coming from another event, will arrive after start)
- 40th District (Multiple Precincts)
- Dianne Blais (D) - Will attend
- Tim Hugo (R) - Will attend
- 67th District (Multiple Precincts)
- Eric Clingan (D) - Will attend
- Jim LeMunyon (R) - Will attend
- 86th District (Multiple Precincts)
- Tom Rust (R) - Will attend (will leave early to attend another event)
- 32nd District (Multiple Precincts)
- Janet Howell (D) - Will attend (coming from another event, will arrive after start)
- Patrick Forrest (R) - Will attend (coming from another event, will arrive after start)
- 33th House District (Brookfield Precinct)
- Mark Herring (D) - Will attend
- Patricia Phillips (R) - Will attend
- 34th District (Multiple Precincts)
- Chap Petersen (D) - Will attend (will leave early to attend another event)
- Gerarda Culipher (R) - Will attend (coming from another event, will arrive after start)
- 37th District (Multiple Precincts)
- Dave Marsden (D) - Will attend
- Jason Flanary (R) - Regrets
- 39th District (Compton Precinct)
- George Barker (D) - Regrets
- Miller Baker (R) - No response
- Land Use and Transportation presentations will not be scheduled tonight
- Old Business
- New Business
- Scheduling of topics for December 2011 - June 2012
- Items of General Interest
- As part of the Beltway HOT Lanes project, the left-side ramp from I-495 Inner Loop to I-66 WB will close permanently on or about Sept. 30. Traffic will need to exit to the right-side ramp to I-66 WB. See this news report: http://www.nbcwashington.com/news/local/DC--130259438.html
- At its 20 September 2011 meeting the Transportation Advisory Commission (TAC) was briefed on the National Capital Region's Transportation Planning Board's Financially Constrained Long-Range Transportation Plan by John Swanson, Principal Transportation Planner (PPT) (PDF)
- At its 20 September 2011 meeting the Board of Supervisors Transportation Committee was briefed on:
- I-95 HOV/HOT Lanes Project Update PPT PDF
- I-95 Transit and Transportation Demand Management PlanSummary of Recommendations PPT PDF
- Updates on Alternatives for Improving Roadway Services in Fairfax County and Discussion of Converting the Fairfax County Parkway and Franconia / Springfield Parkway from Secondary Roads to Primary Roads PPT PDF
- Updates on the Traffic Calming Program PPT PDF
- Although a Status Report on the Reston Metrorail Access Group (RMAG) was on the agenda, it was not presented PPT PDF
- Ellanor C. Lawrence Park Unveils New Interactive Exhibits
- Two new interactive areas are now open to the public at Ellanor C. Lawrence Park’s Walney visitor center. Visitors of all ages can explore the park’s natural and cultural history through hands-on exploration and discovery.
- Younger children can read illustrated books, play with nature-themed puzzles and games, and dress up like a farmer from the late 1700s. In the Investigation Playce, older children and parents can search through drawers full of objects that help interpret the park’s long history and the abundance of natural resources found there.
- The exhibits will change over time to highlight seasonal activities and program themes at the park. Objects in the discovery drawers will also change.
- The exhibits were funded by the Ellanor C. Lawrence trust fund, which was established at the time the parkland was donated in 1971. Site staff built and installed the exhibits.
- Ellanor C. Lawrence Park is located at 5040 Walney Road in Chantilly, VA. The Walney visitor center is open weekdays from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. (closed Tuesdays) and noon to 5 p.m. on weekends. Admission is free.
- For more information, call 703-632-0013 or visit www.fairfaxcounty.gov/parks/ecl.
- Scheduled Meetings/Activities:
- Please join us for the 52nd Green Breakfast – Saturday, September 10 – 8:30 to 10:00 a.m. at Briton’s Grille in Fairfax.
- Topic: A Sneak Peek at Environmental Issues for the 2012 General Assembly
- Speaker: David Bulova, Delegate – 37th District
We have asked Delegate Bulova to give us a survey of probable environmental legislation in the upcoming General Assembly, including but not limited to funding for urban stormwater management, uranium mining, green energy and incentives for electric vehicles, and a myriad of other issues. This is a great chance to get a peek at what might be on the General Assembly’s plate this year! David has also expressed an interest in hearing ideas for new initiatives. Come join us.
- Location: Briton’s Grille: 10621 Braddock Rd., Fairfax, VA 22032 – located in the University Shopping Mall (Braddock Road and Route 123) across the street from the Roanoke River Road entrance to George Mason University.
- Cost: $10.00 for the Buffet, which includes tax and tip. Cash is preferred.
Note: You may bring fliers about your organization's events and activities. There will be time for announcements.
(If anyone wants to come and just have coffee, please email or call the conservation district at 703-324-1460
- 2011-2012 Area Plans Review Retrospective
- The county wants to improve the Area Plans Review (APR) process, which is the primary means to regularly review and update the county's Comprehensive Plan. To do so, the Department of Planning and Zoning is conducting the 2011-2012 Area Plans Review Retrospective. The retrospective will evaluate how the process can:
- Expand public outreach
- Provide a more holistic approach to review
- Enhance land use and transportation analysis
- The APR Retrospective intends to document the changing nature of APR and combine opportunities for community input with staff research and evaluation. The retrospective has been endorsed by the county's Planning Commission, an advisory body to the Board of Supervisors on land use decisions related to the county's Comprehensive Plan. The Board of Supervisors also discussed this type of evaluation as part of their 2009 Fairfax County Board of Supervisors Retreat agenda.
- How You Can Participate
- As part of the study, county planners are seeking input from the property owners, neighborhood groups, developers, and other interested community members. There are several ways you can offer feedback:
- Review survey results
- Attend a public meeting or review a draft of the presentation:
- Mason District: Monday, September 19, 2011 at 7:00 p.m. at the Mason District Governmental Center, 6507 Columbia Pike, Annandale, VA
- Providence District: Tuesday, September 20, 2011 at 7:00 p.m., location TBD,
- Dranesville District: Wednesday, September 21, 2011 at 6:30 p.m. at the McLean Community Center, 1234 Ingleside Ave., McLean, VA
- Mount Vernon District: Thursday, September 22, 2011 at 7:00 p.m. at the South County Secondary School, Media Center D100, 8501 Silverbrook Road, Lorton, VA
- Springfield and Braddock Districts: Tuesday, September 27, 2011 at 6:30 p.m. at the Fairfax County Government Center, 12000 Government Center Parkway, Fairfax, VA
- Lee District: Monday, September 12, 2011 (tentative)
- Hunter Mill: Monday, September 26, 2011 (tentative)
- Call the Department of Planning and Zoning, 703-324-1380, TTY 711
- E-mail your thoughts and comments to county planners
- The public meetings will be held mainly in September, and additional information about these meetings will be published online when available.
- Study Timeline
- The study began in April and is scheduled to be completed by the end of 2012. Planners anticipate implementing the revised APR process in 2013, which is the year for the next scheduled APR review.
- Study Process
- The study will be conducted in the following major steps:
- Held initial meetings with Planning Commission and Board of Supervisors (February 2011)
- Conducted an online survey (March 2011)
- Hold informational community meetings in each supervisory district (September 2011)
- Develop preliminary recommendations (Fall 2011)
- Hold community workshops to get feedback on recommendations (Early 2012)
- Finalize recommendations (Spring 2012)
- Planning Commission and Board of Supervisors review and approve recommendations (Fall 2012)
- Email or contact the Planning Division of the Department of Planning and Zoning, (703) 324-1380, TTY 711 (Virginia Relay Center) or 12055 Government Center Parkway, Suite 730, Fairfax, VA 22035, with further questions about the APR Retrospective.
- Tour Creative Storm Water Management at Aerospace Corp. – Sept. 26, 3:00 p.m.
- Supervisor Michael Frey and The Aerospace Corporation invite interested environmentalists to a walking tour to see first-hand The Aerospace Corporation’s Creative Storm Water Management Project at 14725 Lee Road, Chantilly, VA 20151 (corner of Lee Road and Stonecroft Blvd.). The tour will be held rain or shine. This is a construction site, so dress appropriately.
Questions: Kathleen Buckley, Supervisor Frey’s office, 703-814-7100
- I-95 HOT Lanes Public Meetings – September 28th and 29th
- The Virginia Department of Transportation has scheduled the following three public meetings to provide the latest information and collect public comment on the revised Capital Beltway to Exit 43/Garrisonville Road/Stafford County HOT Lanes project.
- All meetings are from 5:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m.
- Sept. 28th Waterford at Springfield, 6715 Commerce St., Springfield, VA 22150
- Sept. 29th North Stafford High School, 839 Garrisonville Rd., Stafford, VA 22554
- Oral and written comments will be accepted, but there will be no public speaking session. Comments on HOT Lanes design and environmental assessment can be sent to email@example.com. Subject line: "I-95 Joint Meetings." Comments on the I-95 Transit and Transportation Demand Management Plan can be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Comment on Multimodal Transportation Investments - Your Transportation Dollars at Work
- The Commonwealth Transportation Board (CTB) is holding public meetings so that the public may discuss projects that are currently funded in the Six-Year Improvement Program (SYIP) and provide comments for the development of the Fiscal Years 2013-2018 Six-Year Improvement Program.
- Projects include interstate highway, road, rail, bicycle, pedestrian and public transportation initiatives. These projects emphasize bridge and reconstructive pavement projects, along with projects for safety and congestion improvements to Virginia’s transportation system. All SYIP projects eligible for federal funding will be included in the Statewide Transportation Improvement Program (STIP), which documents how Virginia will obligate its federal funds.
- Representatives from the Departments of Transportation, Rail and Public Transportation, Aviation, Motor Vehicles, the Port Authority and the Motor Vehicle Dealer Board, along with Metropolitan Planning Organizations and Planning District Commissions will be in attendance to highlight their transportation programs.
- You are encouraged to attend and provide your comments during one of the following meetings (Find the localities that make up each district on VirginiaDOT.org or by calling 1-800-367-7623):
- Tuesday, October 25, 2011 - VDOT Northern Virginia District Office, 4975 Alliance Drive, Fairfax, VA 22030
- Thursday, November 3, 2011, Germanna Community College, Daniel Technology Center, 18121 Technology Drive, Culpeper, VA 22701
- Wednesday, November 30, 2011, VDOT Central Office Auditorium, 1221 E. Broad Street, Richmond, VA 23219
6-6:30 p.m. – Open house displays and general discussion
6:30 p.m. – Moderated public meeting
- If you cannot attend, please send your comments on rail, public transportation and transportation demand management to Public Information Officer, DRPT, 600 E. Main St., Suite 2102, Richmond, VA 23219, or DRPTPR@drpt.Virginia.gov and on highway projects to Programming Director, VDOT, 1401 E. Broad St., Richmond, VA 23219, or Six-YearProgram@VDOT.Virginia.gov. Comments will be accepted until December 12, 2011.
- Next Membership Meeting: 26 October 2011
- Land Use and Transportation presentations are scheduled first this night to avoid conflicts with absentee balloting ongoing at the Sully District Governmental Center
- Proponent: David S. Houston, Pillsbury Winthrop Shaw Pittman LLP, for the Pohanka Automotive Group
- Action: Rezoning from I-5 to C-8, and two special exceptions
- Location: Stonecroft Road across the Audi, Mercedes and Nissan dealerships
The Pohanka Automotive Group recently submitted a zoning application to Fairfax County to rezone and grant special exceptions for 10 acres of land on Stonecroft Boulevard to permit a new automobile dealership (Honda) and a Pohanka body shop. The application was accepted by the County for processing. The property is generally located across Stonecroft from the new Audi and Mercedes dealerships and the Nissan dealership.
Early indications are that the Planning Commission hearing will not occur until December at the earliest, but more likely January 2012.
The application consists of a rezoning from I-5 to C-8, and two special exceptions: one for automobile sales and one for the body shop (major vehicle service establishment).
- 7:35 - First Quadrennial Sully County Candidates' Night
- We have invited all announced candidates for Sully Supervisor and School Board to make brief statements and respond to questions.
Jeffrey M. Parnes
First Vice President
Sully District Council