27 April 2016 Sully District Council Meeting Minutes
by Jim Neighbors, Secretary
- Refer to the April agenda for meeting announcements.
- SULLY DISTRICT COUNCIL TWEETS!
- Follow us at @SullyDistrict!
- For transportation and related issues, follow the Sully District Transportation Advisory Commissioner at @SullyTAC
No Membership Presentation this month
LAND USE AND TRANSPORTATION COMMITTEE
- Land Use and Transportation Committee:
- 8:30 -- Rockland Village Rezoning Application - RZ 2016-SU-003
- Proponent: Bob Brandt, Walsh, Colucci, Lubeley & Walsh, P.C. for Carrhomes, LLC
- Action: RZ 2016-SU-003
- Location: Near the intersection of Vernon and Elmwood streets, south of RT 50
The firm recently filed a rezoning application on behalf of Carrhomes, LLC (the "Applicant") seeking to rezone approximately 2.32 acres of land located in the southwest quadrant of the intersection of Elmwood Street and Vernon Street. The property consists of five individual parcels, identified among the Fairfax County tax map records as 34-4 ((6)) 49, 68, 69, 70 and A2 (the "Subject Property"), located behind the Pohanka Lexus dealership in Chantilly. The Subject Property is currently developed with the Chantilly Wesleyan church, and a single family home that is currently owned by the church.
The Applicant proposes to rezone the Subject Property from the R-1 to the R-12 District. The application has been accepted by Fairfax County, and Carmen Bishop has been assigned as the staff coordinator. As more fully discussed in the attached Statement of Justification and Generalized Development Plan that were submitted with the rezoning application, the Applicant proposes to develop the Subject Property with twenty-four (24) townhomes, which is consistent with the recommendations of the Comprehensive Plan.
The rezoning application is currently scheduled for a hearing before the Planning Commission on July 27, but based on preliminary feedback received from staff, the hearing may be moved to an earlier date.
- Meeting Notes: The council had no major objections to the application.
9:15 -- Fast Food restaurant in Chantilly Place Shopping Center
- Proponent: Susan Yantis, Senior Land Use Planner, Hunton & Williams LLP
- Action: Special Exception Amendment SEA 88-S-077-07
- Location: Chantilly Place Shopping Center, Willard Road, East of Rt 28
This would allow the development of a proposed drive-through use associated with a fast food restaurant within the Chantilly Place Shopping Center on approximately 1.415 acres identified on the Fairfax County Tax Map as parcel 44-1-((9))-6 (the "Property").
The Property is located along Willard Road between the newly renovated Sunoco service station/quick service food store/car wash and the easternmost entrance to Chantilly Place. The Planning Commission public hearing is scheduled for May 25th. Mike Lynskey is the Staff Coordinator.
- Meeting Notes: The planned opening is in late 2017 and council had no major objections to the application.
- Transportation Improvements
- The council discussed the Braddock Road/Pleasant Valley Road roundabout. Based on normal transportation standards, VDOT will probably not able assess the traffic and safety impacts for least a year or more.
- Additionally, the council discussed the I-66/RT-28/Braddock Road intersection and the Transform 66 project. Based on request for proposal (RFP) and contractor selection timelines, a detailed construction plan for I-66 will probably not be available until late 2017.
Items of General Interest:
- The Fairfax Federation celebrated the Fairfax County 2015 Citizen of the Year on 3 April. The following Sully Residents were honored:
2015 Fairfax County Citizen of the Year
Olga Hernandez acknowledges her designation as Citizen of the Year as Sherry Zachry and Dianne Blais, LWV-FA Co-President, look on
Citation of Merit Honoree
Jim Hart is congratulated on his Citation of Merit: (from the left) At-large Planning Commissioner Tim Sargeant, Planning Commission Chair, Citizen of the Year 2012 and Springfield Planning Commissioner Peter Murphy, BZA member Norman Byers, At-Large School Board member Ilryong Moon, Board of Zoning Appeals Chair John Ribble, Federation President Tim Thompson, Former At-large Planning Commissioner and Citizen of the Year 2011 Walter Alcorn, Jim Hart, At-large Planning Commissioner and Citizen of the Year 2013 Janyce Hedetniemi, Lee Planning Commissioner James Migliaccio, Dranesville District planning commissioner John Ulfelder and former Sully Planning Commissioner Ron Koch
NEXT MEMBERSHIP MEETING - Wednesday, 25 May 2016
- Membership Presentation Topic Report from Richmond by Sully State Legislators
- State Senators
- Janet Howell (32nd District) - Confirmed
- Jennifer Wexton (33rd District) -
- Chap Petersen (34th District) -
- David Marsden (37th District) - Confirmed
- George Barker (39th District) - Regrets
- House of Delegates
- Kenneth Plum (36th District) - Confirmed
- Dave Bulova (37th District) - Confirmed
- Timothy Hugo (40th District) -
- Jim LeMunyon (67th District) - Regrets
- Jennifer Boysko (86th District) -
- Land Use and Transportation Committee:
- 8:45 -- Special exceptions to add some eating establishments, fast food restaurants and a quick service food store in Brookfield Corporate Park
- Proponent: Lori R. Greenlief, Senior Land Use Planner, McGuireWoods LLP
- Action: Special Exception Amendment to add some eating establishments, fast food restaurants and a quick service food store
- Location: Brookfield Corporate Park across Willard Road from Hooters
The property is those one story office buildings across Willard Road from Hooters. They have filed special exceptions to add some eating establishments, fast food restaurants and a quick service food store in one of the office buildings. The planning Commission date is June 29.
Respectively submitted by,
Sully District Council
Sully District Council Home Page
Sully District Council Minutes
Land Use & Transportation Committee Minutes
Data Area Transportation Association information
http://www.SullyDistrict.org webmaster2015 @ SullyDistrict.org
modified by Jeffrey M. Parnes